Some foods are particularly toxic, including onions, garlic, raisins, grapes, some nuts, some artificial sweeteners, and chocolate. Another danger that has recently come to my attention is raw pastry dough with a yeast ingredient.
Non-food dangers would include tinsel, which can cause serious and sometimes fatal intestinal ailments. Ornaments can also be a source of injury. Cats seem to love to climb Christmas trees with the accompanying havoc. Drinking water which contains tree freshener chemicals from a Christmas tree base can be another source of problems. Celebratory beverages left within a pet’s reach can have disastrous results!
Electronics can also post dangers to your pets. Extension cords for Christmas trees or outdoor decorations should be kept well out of reach as animals may chew them and experience electrocution. Light bulbs and other decorations should also be watch carefully as these may result in burns as curious pets investigate new items in their surroundings.
A little care will allow you and your pets to have a joyous Christmas. I would hope that each of us remembers in a meaningful way the reason for our Christmas holidays.